Safer for All: Stop the Policing of Poverty
VIPIRG’s research on interactions between poverty and police in Victoria indicates consistent use of social profiling to discriminate against street involved people in our city.
- 78% of survey participants have witnessed the police search, detain or arrest people without sufficient cause.
- 86% have witnessed police using unnecessary force.
- 83% have witnessed police acting rude, uncivil or using profane, abusive or insulting language.
- 52% report having personal belongings seized (including family photos, ID, sleeping bags)
- 32% report having safer drug use supplies seized by police
This must stop. This Spring, join VIPIRG in a campaign to end to social profiling in Victoria, and to make our city safer for all. First stop, City Hall.
Join the campaign
Join the Safer for All campaign! Contact us to learn more.