Dis/Orientation Days Archive
Check out our new DIS/Orientation Days Guide Zine!
at welcome events on campus like the President’s BBQ and Clubs & Course Union Days, UVSS Campus Kick-Off Events, and the VIPIRG Resource Room B122 in the SUB,
in PDF form here: DisorientationGuideOnlView
and in printable PDF layout here: DisorientationGuideFINAL
A collaboration between campus and community groups, coordinated by the Vancouver Island Public Interest Research Group (VIPIRG),
DIS/Orientation Days aims to:
- provide opportunities for students and the campus community to recognise how difference and power create discrimination and oppression in relationships on personal, university, and community levels;
- build solidarity between advocacy and other organising groups on campus
- connect students and the campus community with social and environmental justice action projects at UVic and in the greater community.
- workshops engaging students and community participants on a variety of current social and environmental justice issues- from introductions to anti-oppression concepts to sustainable lifestyle and organising skillshares;
- film screenings and panel discussions connecting participants with community and activist organizations from on- and off-campus communities;
- a social change tour of downtown Victoria and a tour highlighting the history of activism on campus;
- a calendar of related on- and off-campus events during September;
- the DIS/Orientation Social all ages concert, mixer, and sign-making party.
- a DIS/Orientation guide zine for back-to-class and getting involved on local campaigns.
- Advocacy group open houses.
Checkout these examples of similar events led by PIRG’S on other territories:
U of Ottawa- Alt 101 coverage