Dis/Orientation Days Coordinator
Dis/Orientation Days is a multi-week program of events for the University of Victoria and Victoria, coordinated by the Vancouver Island Public Interest Research Group (VIPIRG). Dis/Orientation Days programming provides new and returning college and university students with exciting opportunities to meet fellow students similarly curious in, and invested in, environmental and social justice issues.
Events include workshops engaging students and community participants on a variety of current social and environmental justice issues; film screenings; and panel discussions connecting participants with community and activist organizations from on- and off-campus communities.
· Liaise with student societies at UVic and Camosun, as well as advocacy groups supported by these societies.
· Meet regularly with VIPIRG staff and coordinating collective (coord) members to maintain active support and involvement.
· Coordinate logistics (room bookings, meals, A/V rentals, etc.).
· Select facilitators for specific events.
· Recruit participants.
· Make a schedule and copy any other documents.
· Bottom-line registration.
· Coordinate promotions – website, social media, email, postering – on and off-campus.
· Coordinate food and find sponsors.
· Solicit workshops and design call-out for workshops.
· With VIPIRG staff, fundraise from campus and community groups for programming costs.
· Coordinate and update budget and finances, with VIPIRG Internal Coordinator and finance committee.
Collective (all Staff) Tasks:
· Organize summer volunteers.
· Programming decisions: workshop decisions; scheduling; brainstorming the theme; evening events (with the coord as well).
· Evaluating the program and preparing a Final Report.
· Assisting in orientation of fall work study hire.
· Ability to take initiative, work independently, and as part of team as well as by consensus.
· Experience coordinating projects or events with student groups/community organizations and volunteers.
· Well-organized and able to work in a dynamic workplace.
· Interest in community organizing.
· A demonstrated commitment to social and environmental justice.
· Experience working through a safer spaces and anti-oppressive practice framework.
· Knowledge of Victoria community/activist groups.
· Knowledge of UVic clubs, services and campus groups.
· Familiarity with VIPIRG and the UVic campus.
· Flexible working hours (especially in August and September).
TERMS of HIRE
· VIPIRG is a unionized workplace. This position will be unionized under United Steelworkers local 2009.
· Wage: this is a student position (preference given to student returning to studies in September), on a scale of $14.11 to $15.12/hr, dependent on experience and qualifications. Term of position: mid-June 2013 through mid- to late-September, dependent on funding; 15 hours/week (flexible).
Dis/Orientation Days will be coordinated out of the VIPIRG office at Student Union Building (SUB) Rm B122, 3800 Finnerty Road. Our space is wheelchair accessible and we welcome feedback for making it more so.
QUESTIONS email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 250.472.4386.
VIPIRG is an equal opportunity employer. In support of employment equity and in order to increase our relevancy and diversity of skills, knowledge and experience, VIPIRG strongly encourages self-identified women, people of colour, people with disabilities, Indigenous, queer and transgendered people to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who self-identify as being from marginalized communities and groups who face systemic barriers to employment. Applicants who wish to do so may self-identify in their cover letter.
To apply, please include:
1) Please send a cover letter describing all relevant experience for the position and why you are interested in working as part of the VIPIRG team over the summer. Please confirm that you are a student and/or want employment equity. 1 page, maximum.
2) Curriculum Vitae
Submit your application by Friday, June 7th, 2013, by midnight one of two ways:
1. Via email at email@example.com with “Dis/Orientation Days Application” in the subject line. *Preferred*
2. Drop it off at 3800 Finnerty Road, Student Union Building Rm 120 or in the VIPIRG mailbox at the General Office. Please note that the General Office is only open from 10am-12pm and 1pm-4pm Monday through Friday.
**You will only be contacted if you receive an interview**